- Oil and/or Butter - 1 c. oil or butter = 1 c. applesauce
- Butter - 1 c. butter = 3/4 c. vegetable oil
- Buttermilk - 1 c. buttermilk = 1 c. almond milk + 2 Tbl lemon juice; allow to sit 5 minutes
- Milk - 1 c. soy or almond milk = 1 c. dairy milk
- Eggs - 1/2 banana or, 1 Tbl ground flax seeds mixed with 1/4 c. warm water or, pumpkin puree replacing 1 egg with 1/3 c. puree
- Sugar - both agave nectar and honey make good substitutions for other liquid sweeteners; the substitution ratio usually works at 1 to 1.
Check out a few sites with more detailed information, substitution breakdowns, and additional alternatives for making yummy cakes, cookies, and breads on a whole foods, plant-based diet:
- http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/ and type in "baking substitutions."