Friday, December 17, 2010

Cup a' Joe

Those who know me are aware - I love me a cup of coffee.

It's not about the caffeine so much as it is the entire... experience.

I love opening my little brown bag, sticking my nose in and inhaling the scent.  I take great care in setting the coffee filter into place and then scooping in several heaping spoonfuls of grounds.  Filling the canister to just the right level, pushing that wonderful button marked, "Brew" and enjoying the rumble as the water begins to drip and the warm, brown beverage trickles into the pot.  

When I can tell the percolation is almost complete, out comes the soy milk.  

Careful not to spill, I pour myself a mug full of the steaming, bold brew and with a few, "Shake-ah, Shake, Shakes," of the ol' milk carton, I get a nice layer of foam on top as I pour the milk into my coffee.


The mug warms my hands as I take the first sip, breathing in deeply the full-bodied scent; my muscles relax as the warmth travels from my tongue to my toes.

Me and coffee, we've had a long, lustrous relationship going back to sometime when I was in high school.  I think it probably all started because of early morning band practice (nerd alert!) but, I'm not certain.  

It is one of life's simple, daily pleasures for me and, as you can tell, I enjoy it immensely.

Around Christmas time, I've been known to throw half a packet of hot cocoa mix in mine to make a little cafe mocha type drink for a little something extra special.

I have had several people express how they're quite impressed with the frothy, foamy top my coffee sports in the morning.  So, I thought I would take a moment to share my secret (it's all in the shake-ah, shake, shake of the soy milk before pouring it into the coffee) and to share some of the reasons why I enjoy a cup a' joe so very much.


This Christmas mug is especially… well, um… special because, there's a little snow-guy waiting there at the bottom of the cup, holding his little package, looking up at you as if to say, "Hello!  Hi!  I'm adorable!"

Well, I like him anyway.
So, however you may enjoy a cup, I hope it brings a smile to your face.

Merry Christmas,
Rachel

1 comment:

  1. The way you described your coffee ritual really has me daydreaming about coffee myself.

    My husband and I recently ventured to France and we were so impressed by their coffee- thick, strong but tolerable, foamy, perfect cups of joe. The first purchase I made upon arriving home was a French press. Now my ritual is interrupted by a difficult decision- coffee pot or French press? Do I dare reach for my espresso machine?

    Glad I'm not the only person who doctors her brew with cocoa. :)

    ReplyDelete