Monday, November 1, 2010

The First of the Month

When I walked outside this morning, I was welcomed by the site of the first, real frost.

The edges of every blade of grass and the tips of every fallen leaf lay frozen, beautifully dusted with a rim of crystal lace.


The frost served to delicately announce the beginning of November.  There are still many trees with vibrant red, yellow, and orange leaves hanging on.  But many of their fallen comrades have become a part of the ground cover that will make it possible for all sorts of lovely little things to bloom in Spring.

Ahhhh yes… the first of the month.  I don't know why but, for me, it always just seems to fill me with such a sense of... possibility.  "What all will I get done this month?  What all will I accomplish?"

You better believe I have a "To Do" list full of things I'd like to get done.  But, I think what I'm most looking forward to is the time of Thanksgiving - a day when, we all set aside our bloated "To Do" lists, make time for one another, and pause, to give thanks, be thankful, and speak words of thanks to loved ones and dear friends around us.  It is a practice that is far too infrequent in my own life. I am thankful though, for the beginning of a new month.  

So, although it is officially C-O-L-D, I go forth on the first of this month, determined to approach  everyday with Thanksgiving.  I truly have so much to be thankful for.

XO,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment