Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Pressing Matter

Though it may be shocking to learn, I only just recently (we're talking like, within the last three weeks or so) acquired what has rapidly become one of my absolute, bestest friends in the kitchen - a garlic press.

A little visual aid.




Image not to scale.  **wink, wink**

To be sure, I'm no artiste but, I have to say, this is not a terrible representation of my recent acquisition.

The first time I used it was on my South of The Border Sweet Potato and Quinoa Bowl.  I was so pleased with the ease with which it worked (and how it preserved my fingers from the lingering scent of garlic I'd become resigned to accept*) that, since that day, I've hardly gone a meal without debating whether or not a dish needed an extra dash of perfectly pressed garlic.

Aside from warding off vampires and making you self conscious at dinner parties, garlic boasts a plethora of health benefits that solidify it as a mainstay in a well balanced diet.  Visit www.whfoods.com for several of this herb's pungent perks, such as its "Cancer Prevention" properties and "Cardiovascular Benefits."

I enjoy cooking - some days more than others but - I am absolutely, 100%, always, all about finding new ways to decrease the amount of prep and clean up time I spend in the kitchen.  The clean up with this thing is so simple.  I don't know why it never occurred to me to get one before.

No doubt I'll continue to slice and dice, mince and crush garlic with my own two hands… whether for the purposes of getting just-the-right-size of perfectly browned pieces or to ensure that I get a nice nugget of garlicy goodness when I savor a bite of homemade stew.   I am particularly fond of how the garlic bits sing in this baked, heirloom tomato dish.

A trick that may aid in upping your garlic intake is how to easily remove the outer layer of each, individual garlic piece ---  Simply cut off the little bottom bit, lay the garlic piece on its side, lay your knife flat over the garlic and, using the heel of your hand, strike the knife breaking the outer of layer of skin rendering it incredibly easy to remove.

I saw this one day on some cooking show and was like, "Yes!  This is amazing!"

Sometimes the simplest things pay the greatest dividends.



Until next time… Press On & Peace Out,
Rachel





*Chef Luke's tip for removing the garlic smell from your fingers:  Rinse hands with cool water then rub pennies between your fingers… something about ionization… the metal eliminates the smell.
- Special thanks to "Jacq's Blogger Tips" on how to get rid of the border on a single image, editing the html text.  It totally worked!

No comments:

Post a Comment