Friday, May 27, 2011

Mexican Adulation

Go ahead and pop your wrist cuz you're gonna need that dipping hand ready.

These dips and salsa are so flippin' good, if you're not careful, they may just end up being your dinner.  Once you start, it's hard to stop.  So, whether yours is a palette that loves heat ranging from mild to make-your-upper-lip-sweat-spicy, you'll find something here to suit your fancy.

Makin' Me Hot Navy Bean Dip:
15.5 oz. can navy beans
2 Tbl. water
1 Tbl. Sriracha sauce
1 Tbl. lemon juice
equivalent of 1/2 tsp. habanero pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
Preparation:  Drain and rinse navy beans.  Combine all ingredients in food processor and grind until smooth.

Black Bean Dip with Jalapeno Zip :
15.5 oz. can black beans
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbl. Sriracha sauce
3 Tbl. jalapeno "water"*
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. garlic salt
Preparation:  Drain and rinse black beans.  Combine all ingredients in food processor and grind until smooth.


*One of the things I purchase as a salad topper is jarred jalapeno slices.  The liquid that these come in is what I use to flavor this dip.  It really infuses the dip with a delicious jalapeno taste without adding any real heat.



I kid you not, I have never --- NEVER!!! gotten such raucous feedback from my husband as I did with these two bean dips.  He sat there and "Oh'd" and "Um'd" throughout his dipping experience.

In regards to the black bean dip he said,
      "Seriously babe, I would slather this on a hamburger and gobble it up right now!"

Then, he moved on to the navy bean and exclaimed,
      "Oh my gosh!  Rachel.  Seriously.  You need to jar this and sell it!"

His next move was not a shocker as my man is pretty clever.  He dipped one corner of his chip into on dip, and then another into the other.
     "That, was the best decision I made all day…" he said before trailing off into more satisfied munches.


He really knows how to make a girl feel appreciated ya' know.


So, I feel pretty good about these dips.  Hopefully you will too.  I always think it's nice to have something to mix things up with at parties and what not.  Don't get me wrong.  I've got nothing against a good ol' classic pinto bean.  But these up the ante with a nice, spice factor.

The navy bean dip is not for the spice novice.  It definitely has a kick and you'll want to be careful because there is nothing funny about the power of this pepper (read - DON'T touch your eyes after working with the habanero.  It's a hot son-of-a-gun.  It made me cough just cutting it!).

The black bean dip isn't really even worthy of receiving the "mild" title but, go ahead and throw in some of those jalapeno slices if you know your taste buds can handle em'.

At this point you may be wondering, "What the heck is Srirachi?"

Well, it's this:  
Pictured here with my Butternut Squash Bake.

The bright red sauce with the rooster on it.

It has a nice, unique flavor all on its own.  It's got some great heat and for the past couple of months has been a go-to for me as I haven't seemed to be able to get enough spice in my life lately.  

I've mixed it in soups, over squash as you see here.  I've used it to spice up tofu.  I just can't get enough of this baby.




The final recipe I'll leave you with before I sign off for my Mexican voyage is a salsa I'd like to call "Salsa Amarillo" due to it's lovely, yellow color.

Salsa Amarillo:
1 ylw. pepper
1 ylw. heirloom tomato
1 ear ylw. corn
3 cloves garlic
1 sm. - md. jalapeno (depending on how spicy you like it)
1 tsp. ginger
Preparation:  Heat oven to 400 degrees.  In a bowl, cut kernels away from cob.  Rinse and cut pepper into slices.  Cut jalapeno into rounds and clean skin off of garlic.  Place peppers, corn, jalapeno and garlic on foil covered cookie sheet and bake in oven for 30 minutes.  Cut about 1 teaspoon worth of fresh ginger (skin removed) off of ginger root; rinse and slice tomato.  Place tomato and ginger in food processor and pulse until a few chunks of tomato remain.  Once veggies are done, combine corn, jalapeno, and garlic in processor.  Pulse until pretty well smooth.  Combine in a bowl with tomato/ ginger mixture.  Finally, pulse peppers until slightly chunky.  Mix all together well and serve.

I promise you're going to like this.

There's a brightness to this salsa that I love and makes it incredibly easy to devour.




Okay well, I guess this is officially it.  I'm signing off now until my return.  There shouldn't be any typing going where I'm headed so, until then…

"Hasta Luego!"

Senorita Sunshine,
Raquel

No comments:

Post a Comment