Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Guacamole Matrimony

What do you get when you combine an avocado and mandarin oranges in holy-guacamole matrimony? 

A match made in heaven.

I thoroughly enjoy a good guac but, after a recent trip to Mexico where I was able to indulge in a healthy dose of guacamole at almost every meal, I found myself daydreaming about different combinations of ingredients that might provide an exciting alternative to the original. 

At first glance, these ingredients may not sound like a complimentary combination.  But, if you give it a chance, I think you’ll be more than pleasantly surprised.

My husband watched as I threw the ingredients together and later told me that, as he sat there he thought, “She’s ruining those avocados.”

I could see the doubt on his face too as I sat there chopping, mixing and sprinkling away.  At first, with the avocados it was like, “Yes.  This is par for the course.  I’ve seen her do this a million times before.”  When I pulled out the mandarins, peeled and diced them up, he looked perplexed.  When I threw the mandarins in with the avocados though his face said, “Welp, that’s trash bound.”

Thankfully, I was undeterred by this lack of confidence. 

I could see his skepticism, even a bit of reluctance, as he plunged a chip in for the first bite.  Then, the moment I love, a look of surprise couple with satisfaction swept across his face. 

“Wow,” he said.  “This is really good.  This is so good, it almost makes me mad because I just want to gobble up this whole thing!”

Muah, ah ah,” I thought to myself as a self-satisfied smirk spread across my face.

“Yep.  Skills,” I said.  “My taste buds know what taste buds like.”



 Mandarin-Avocado Guacamole
2 avocados
6 mandarin oranges
1 lime
½ - 1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt (add more to taste if desired)

Scoop out avocado and dice into bite size pieces.  Peal and dice mandarin oranges into bite size pieces.  Combine juice from one lime, avocado, oranges, cinnamon and salt in bowl and mix well, mashing avocado as you go.  Taste, add cinnamon or salt as needed and serve.  



And tell me if your taste buds no likey.
Rachel







Need another incentive to try this dish?  Check out this article explaining the health benefits of cutting saturated fat from your diet while increasing the healthy kind, unsaturated fat; the kind found in avocados.

No comments:

Post a Comment